Thursday, May 13, 2010

Actual Replay #1: Structured Freeform in the Indie RPG Design Community

Finally! Here is the first new episode of this actual play podcast in a long time. It marks a departure in format, though, since it consists of excerpts of conversations I had with indie RPG designers about "structured freeform," a game design aesthetic that emphasizes shaping the social experience of play rather than providing rules for resolving conflict in the fiction. I hope you'll find it interesting.

6 comments:

  1. This was fun to listen to, Bill. Oh man, somebody should tell Chad about Mystery Loves Company.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jason! "Mystery Loves Company" made me laugh. Neat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was kinda wondering if the Podcast had simply faded... good to hear back from you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, it's good to be back. I thought I was going to have a lot of time to work on the podcast while I took my sabbatical, but as it turns out I had a lot of other projects to work on. I managed to leverage the material for this episode out of the interviews I did at Dreamation for an article about structured freeform to submit to the proceedings of a larp conference. And now that summer's practically here, I'll be able to maintain a slow but steady pace of production.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is there a way to subscribe to this via itunes?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jesse --

    Try the Feedburner feed and let me know if that works; there's an "add to iTunes" link there that should be working.



    -- Bill

    ReplyDelete